Is This for Me?
The EcoQuest programs are committed to providing a learning environment that offers mentorship, empowers students, encourages self-directed learning and enables students to succeed. The most important selection criteria for EcoQuest participants are intellectual curiosity, motivation, a willingness to be engaged and to be challenged, and a commitment to become a positive and supportive team member.
"It is a privilege and a joy to work with students who are motivated, forward-thinking, and who have embarked on their journey to acquire the skills, tools and understanding that enable them to work toward a sustainable future."
Ria Brejaart, Academic Director
Am I Eligible?
Prerequisites for All Programs: Agreement with the fundamental principles of intensive study, group cooperation, conservation ethic, and personal responsibility that are central to the EcoQuest living and learning environment.
Be at least 18 years old at the start of the program.
GPA? Have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of xxx
Students need to demonstrate a moderate to high level of physical fitness, and importantly, stamina and resilience. This includes the ability to swim competently (semester programs only), to participate in the occasional overnight hike, and to work outside for extended periods in all weather.
Ecology in Action Programs: Successful completion of at least 48 semester credit hours (or equivalent) of college or university studies, including at least one semester course in the natural sciences (biology, chemistry, earth sciences, physics) and one in the social sciences (anthropology, economics, geography, political science, sociology).
Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Aotearoa: Successful completion of at least 36 semester credit hours (or equivalent) of college or university studies, including at least one semester course related to agriculture production and management (such as Sustainable Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Science, Agroecology, or equivalent courses), and at least one related to Agricultural Business, Environmental Economics, or Food and Society.
Please note: Non-native speakers of English must demonstrate competency in English in an interview situation.
"EcoQuest was the most profound learning experience that I’ve had. It united people of different life journeys under a passion of planetary wellness. It inspired me to educate myself so that I can be an agent of positive global change."
We Want To Get To Know You!
"An important aspect of our selection criteria is the opportunity for our admissions staff to engage personally with each applicant throughout the admissions process"
Donna Dowal - Admissions Director
We aim to provide you with as much information about our unique living and learning environment in New Zealand, introduce you to our alumni, and assist you in determining if the EcoQuest community might be an appropriate program opportunity for you.
As you continue your search for the most suitable program, please remember that an important first step is to meet with your Education Abroad and Academic Advisors at your home school.
You can apply for a UNH-EcoQuest program using our online application form (Link below).
In addition to the information on this form you will require:
- An official, up-to-date college transcript.
- Two references: one academic reference from a professor or instructor, and one character reference from a person (other than a peer or family member/ acquaintance) who can comment on your suitability for the EcoQuest-UNH residential and learning environment.
- Complete the online application form and submit. NOTE You may save a draft of this form part way through & resume filling it in later. However, you must complete and submit the form for us to receive it.
- The form includes a secure credit card payment page for the $35 non-refundable application fee.
Upon submission of your application form:
- You will receive an email with a PDF copy of your application form for your records.
- Both your Academic referee and Personal referee will receive an email with a link to an on-line form.
- Once each referee completes & submits their form it will be sent directly to us. You will receive a notification that we have received it.
- Once we have received the above information, you will be invited for a personal or online interview.
If you have any problems please contact our Admissions Director, Donna Dowal - firstname.lastname@example.org or (603) 862-2036
UNH-EcoQuest will evaluate applications on a rolling admissions basis up to the admissions deadline. You should expect to hear of an admissions decision within two or three weeks after we receive your complete application. We can only accommodate a limited number of students, and international travel preparations do take time, so we encourage you to apply as early as possible. We cannot guarantee to admit students whose applications are submitted after the deadlines.